Back to Job Openings
Humane Society Director
Humane Society of Moultrie/Colquitt County
Salary based on qualification and experience
• Manage the operation, staff, physical facility and programs of Moultrie Colquitt County Humane Society. Hire, supervise, evaluate, promote, discipline, and terminate shelter staff and prepare worker assignments and schedules. Conduct meetings with staff to review policies and procedures to improve animal care.
• Develop and implement goals, policies, and procedures for the Humane Society to include disaster preparedness documentation to ensure the superior care of all shelter animals per state requirement.
• Make a final decision on performing euthanasia procedures. Ensure files, records, and statistics are properly maintained including animal intake, disposition, adoption, and euthanasia, spay & neuter of shelter animals and any medical records.
• Ensure shelter activities are in compliance with terms and conditions of animal control contracts with local municipalities.
• Perform daily inspection of the shelter facility to monitor the general health of shelter animals and ensure proper medical care is rendered in a timely, humane, and efficient manner. Regularly inspect shelter property for needed repairs and maintenance and secure contractors as necessary to maintain buildings and grounds.
• Respond to and resolve sensitive inquiries and complaints from other animal care providers, ACO, and the general public.
• Must have knowledge of Federal, State, and local laws and ordinances and be able to interpret those to staff and to the general public.
• Ensure the appropriate fees are collected from patrons, pet owners, and municipalities. Submit required reports to any governmental or funding agency.
• Oversee the purchasing of shelter supplies and inventories to include needed pharmaceuticals.
• Maintain adequate monthly reports for State records and for County/City monthly board meetings.
• Ensure that job descriptions are developed, regular annual performance evaluations are held, and sound human resource practices are in place.
• Responsible for implementing and maintaining financial practices
• Conduct the official correspondence of the organization and execute legal documents as necessary.
Communications and Professional Requirements:
• Coordinate educational outreach programs and make a presentation for schools, civic groups, public agencies, and related groups while serving as primary advocate and spokesperson for the Humane Society of Moultrie/Colquitt County. Represent the programs and organizational position in the community. Establish and maintain cooperative working relations with community partners, peer organizations, and contracted city agencies. Be prepared at all times to host a meet and greet with the public and answer questions regarding humane society operations and policies.
• Engage in active and contributing participation in fundraising opportunities.
• Recommend and implement a volunteer program to increase volunteer participation as well as to develop and implement training programs in support of staff and volunteers.
• Implement a strategic plan for the humane society.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
• Work in an environment which contains fumes or airborne particles.
• Handle animals that are sick or injured, frightened or dangerous who may display unpredictable behavior.
• Manage the mental and emotional stress that may accompany the euthanasia of animals.
• Work in all types of weather conditions, in a noisy environment, and be able to stand for long periods of time, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl to inspect shelter enclosures and animals that might be in need of assistance.
• Must have a basic knowledge of animal welfare and understanding of all animals that reside inside the shelter.
• Must be able to interact with animals in a positive manner.
Education and Experience:
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying, such as the following:
• Three years related to animal care supervisory or management experience
• High School Diploma or GED required
• Associate’s Degree in Animal Management, animal shelter management, pet sciences and/or humane leadership, animal disease prevention and shelter sanitation, canine and feline management, animal handling, animal cruelty, nutrition, animal behavior and/or animal protection is highly desired.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license
• Must have compassion for animals
• Must not discriminate against one certain breed of any kind
** Any license, certification, or registration required for this position shall be maintained (i.e. active and in good standing) at all times during employment with Moultrie Colquitt County Humane Society.
We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
If you would like to be considered for this position, complete the employment application below. You may email your completed application to Human Resources at email@example.com or fax it to 229-873-3108.