#3 Hurricane Irma Update9 Sep, 2017
Hurricane Irma continues to be on a unpredictable powerful path. We do believe we can predict hurricane strength winds in our community early Monday morning. Now is the time to look around the outside of your homes and remove items that could become unstable in the strong winds. Move outside furniture into garages or stabilize as well as possible. Pots, garbage cans, toys, yard tools, etc should be placed indoors or stabilized as well as possible. Those items could become projectile in the winds and cause more damage than wind alone.
Now is also a time to gather food items or other necessities needed if or when power is lost. Power outages could last several hours or days. We will be attending an Irma briefing on Sunday afternoon with multiple emergency agencies and will then give more storm information. Be prepared.
Update: For those individuals who need alternative shelter, there are 3 shelters the Red Cross is suggesting that will be further from the storm. There are currently three places offering shelter from the storm in our community.
1) Heritage Church located on the corner of Pavo Road and Gene McQueen Road will be open from 6:00 p.m. Sunday to 6:00 p.m. on Monday.
2) Meredith Gym located at 1020 4th street, SW will be open 6:00 p.m. Sunday to 6:00 p.m. on Monday.
3) The Moultrie Police Department will have limited space available Monday 3:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
4) Kingwood Baptist Church.
Please understand the above shelters are not Red Cross Shelters, so you will need to arrive with your own food, blanket, pillow, and water.
Additional locations are:
1) Albany, GA Civic Center
2) Tifton, GA Community Center
3) Cordele, GA Blackshear School.
Please call the Red Cross for more information concerning shelters. You can contact them by calling 229-436-4845
Stay up to date with the latest updates on our City of Moultrie Facebook page.